Thinking about painting your home in Sherwin Williams Sea Salt? Read on!

I've promised to share more of my favorite home decor ideas and first up is one of my favorite topics, paint colors! Specifically, why I adore Sherwin Williams Sea Salt and think it's the perfect serene paint color.

Sherwin Williams Sea Salt Bedroom

When I first walked into my house to look at it, everything was black. The walls, the trim, the kitchen, the foyer, everything. I'm much more of a "light and bright" type of color person so I knew I had to do some changing. Thankfully, painting is one of the easiest and most transformational changes you can make to a home.

Most of my house is painted PPG's White Umber, but at the request of my husband, we needed a little color somewhere. I agreed! Thus, my quest to find the perfect paint color. I wanted it calming, relaxing, and simple.

A color that could go with a variety of furniture pieces, bedding changes, etc. Sherwin Williams Sea Salt is that color!

Sherwin Williams Sea Salt

Sherwin Williams Sea Salt

Here's the paint strip for Sea Salt SW 6204 so you can have an idea of the paint color! Don't worry when you see that my paint bucket above looks different than the strip below, this is a chameleon paint color (I was by a window with a LOT of light), changing with many factors. More on that below…

Sherwin Williams Sea Salt Paint Color

So far I have painted my guest room and bathroom in Sherwin Williams Sea Salt, and I'm already eyeing a couple other rooms to paint too. One thing to note is that Sea Salt changes a bit with the lighting. Depending on the direction the room faces, how much light is coming into the room, whether it's natural light or artificial light. Lots of variations mean variations in the color.

Naturally, I highly recommend grabbing a sample and testing your area, but I'm fairly certain you will love it!

Sea Salt Undertones & Details

  • Sea Salt is a chameleon color with green and gray undertones.
  • It's on the cool side rather than warm/yellow side.
  • The Light Reflectance Value (or LRV, for short) for Sea Salt is 63, this means it will lighten and brighten your room!

Sea Salt In Your Home

A few things to keep in mind when deciding how Sherwin Williams Sea Salt will look in your home!

  • Though it has cooler undertones, a lack of natural light (and a plethora of artificial lighting) will lean this color to the warmer side of the spectrum.
  • My room is West facing and the colors pick up more blue. I've also heard this can happen in North facing rooms. It's a beautiful green/blue, however, so I highly recommend it for North/West facing walls.
  • In a South facing room, this color will pick up more of the greens.

What Colors Coordinate Well With Sea Salt

Sherwin Williams suggests these three colors as coordinating colors that pair well with Sea Salt.

  1. SW 6203 Spare White
  2. SW 7666 Fleur de Sel
  3. SW 7669 Summit Gray

Personally, I have PPG White Umber in my home and it pairs beautifully with Sea Salt. Neutrals do well as Sea Salt so here are a few other tried and true neutrals that will pair well with Sea Salt.

  • SW Accessible Beige
  • SW Kilim Beige
  • SW Malabar (I have this in the adjoining den to my Sea Salt bedroom)

I wanted to give you a little look at Sea Salt in various room types. Personally, I love Sea Salt in rooms where you want a "calm" feeling like bedrooms, adjoining bathrooms, living rooms, family rooms, etc. Especially spaces you would like to lighten up like hallways, small powder rooms, etc.

Sea Salt in Bedrooms

Serene Bedroom Sea Salt color

Above is my own guest room (see theguest room makeover here). Sea Salt is definitely my favorite color for bedrooms. It instantly gives the room a relaxing "spa-like" feel which is exactly what I want for my guests.

Master Bedroom– Life on Virginia Street
Master Bedroom– Two Twenty One
Bedroom – The Painted Drawer

Sea Salt in Living Rooms

Sea Salt Sherwin Williams

Coastal Living Room – Sand & Sisal

If you want your living room to be a relaxing and calming space where can put your feet up, Sea Salt is your color. I went with a different (more blue) color in my own living room, and I regret it. I'm very seriously thinking about having it repainted in Sea Salt. See these gorgeous examples below…

Living Room – Hooked on Houses
Beach Cottage (the whole interior is painted in Sea Salt) – Southern Hospitality Blog
House Tour (Living Room and many other rooms in Sea Salt) – Paintbrushes & Popsicles
Sunroom (so beautiful) – Unskinny Boppy
Living Room – Pretty Handy Girl
Living Room – Echelon Custom Homes via Houzz

Sea Salt in Kitchens

I love a white kitchen, but if I were leaning towards a color, Sea Salt is a great one! It pairs well with light cabinet colors as well as dark wood-stained colors.

Kitchen – The Turquoise Home
Kitchen #2 – M is for Mama
Accent Wall in Kitchen – How to Nest for Less

Sea Salt in Bathrooms

This is the PERFECT color for a bathroom. It feels just like a spa color that is instantly calming and refreshing. It's in my guest bathroom (promise to snap pics soon). Check out a few more below…

Bathroom – Bonnie Donahue
Master Bathroom– Echelon Custom Homes via Houzz
Traditional Bathroom – Echelon Custom Homes via Houzz

Sea Salt in Dining Rooms

If you are wanting to give our dining room a refresh, take a look at how Sherwin Williams Sea Salt adds the perfect touch of playful yet still neutral color.

Dining Room – Palm Street via Houzz
Dining Room #2 – Greystone Country House via Houzz

I hope this has given you a little glimpse into how Sea Salt might look in a space in your own home! It's truly one of Sherwin Williams' most popular paint colors for a reason, it looks so great in so many spaces. Share pictures with me if you use SW Sea Salt anywhere in your home! I can't wait to see!